A Few Points on 'SEO'
October 17, 2015
- Instead of buying the snake oil, start with a content strategy.
- You can’t optimise for a search engine, instead what you can do is optimise what a user is looking for. Optimising for what a search engine would do to find content is ass-backwards, What happens when the algorithm changes?
- ‘Rank and Bank’ no longer exists.
- The current SEO marketplace is extremely confusing, even to people within the industry. Half of the people seem to have no idea what’s actually going on.
- There’s an extremely high chance that a company that markets themselves as ‘SEO Agencies’ is going to rip you off. They’re playing off the small business fear by selling crappy half-finished products in the process. The tools which actually work, and properly measure effectiveness are mostly free.
- Good SEO is really good traditional marketing. Just mixed together with a well designed, semantically structured website, and content that a user will actually find valuable. If you can’t see the value in the content you’re putting up, what makes you think anyone else will?
- Companies that do well in search ranking tend to be doing RCS (Real Company Shit). Not relying on shortcuts and cheap tricks.
- Seen any huge SEO companies recently? They’ve all rebranded themselves far, far away from that term. Basically, Invest in quality marketing, quality content, and a robust platform which can support your requirements.